Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

May 13, 2016

What Do Owls Have to Crow About?-)

".. .it is actually corvids and parrots that come out on top".
I wrote a post about picking up a whole bunch of random magazines in a newsagent in the main street of the town of Manilla, New South Wales, from nothing more than looking at each cover and feeling if I should buy them.
They were all grouped together in the same section, as well.
Manilla, NSW
The magazines sitting in the newsagent shelves before I bought them.
One of those magazines was a British animal magazine that featured a cat on the cover ... the main reason I choose to buy it, because if you read this blog, you would know I love cats.
 
That information about owls at the top of this post was in the back section of that magazine.
Also, having read PKD's novel 'VALIS' a few months ago, the zebra pictured not too far away from the bar-code on the cover struck me as amusing. 
237 and the Zebra
The Irony of Page 237 of Whitley Strieber's New Book
Dick used zebra as a way of an analogy of how VALIS was able to camouflage itself in the "real" world and how the stripes kind of represented something that was half in and half out of this physical dimension
Scene from, 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' of the Starman falling.
I also found it ironic that the UFO magazine right next to the Animal magazine had a story on David Bowie/"Starman", when clearly David Bowie and the movie Dick saw, "The Man Who Fell to Earth" had such a big influence on PKD while writing 'VALIS'.
I found it amusing also that, "The planned third novel,  
The Owl in Daylight, had not yet taken definite shape at the time of the author's death. 
Dick viewed the novel as his Finnegans Wake. 
"The owl in daylight" is a phrase Dick heard on television. 
It means not to understand, or to be blind.".
A Burrowing Owl and a mother bear and her cub?
I found this image of a burrowing owl interesting for personal reasons, especially being placed opposite the bear picture, because the first time a synchronicity really got my attention was when I was burying my dead cat and just as I was about to shovel the dirt over my cat,  Peter Gabriel's song, 'Digging in the Dirt' came on my car radio that was nearby while I was digging, you dig

The bear picture reminded me of the message of the movie 'The Revenant' seemed to be all about -
The Secret of 'The Revenant'
Those two pictures will become an important link in a future post that I will write, which will also tie my two posts about owls and crows together in an incident that happened after my road-trip was over. 
Those two posts are the red links below -
Are the Powerful Owls What They Seem?
and
On the Road with Corvids 
I started to think the Trickster was
having a
laugh when I saw this page.
Knowledgeable eyes?
Reading Whitley Strieber's comment about the big black eyes of the "visitors" appearing knowledgeable to him in the book 'The Super Natural', I couldn't help wondering what he would think of the zebra's eyes.
Jeff Kripal co-author of 'The Super Natural' also writes on page 270 of that book that he worked on PKD's, 'The Exegesis' as an annotator of selected passages of PKD's book.
 
This back page of the magazine advertising the Colchester Zoo struck personal synchs on many levels for me, least of all that Jeff mentions working on 'The Exegesis' on page 270 of
'The Super Natural' and the ad says , "discover over 270 species", because one of my best friends that lived diagonally opposite me and was a companion of mine for many years, as we grew up in our teens, was always telling me about the town of Colchester, which his mother was from, and their football team Colchester United (a minor league soccer team) and I noticed the zoo was opened in 1963, the year he was born (he was one year older than I was).
Also, the "Australian Rainbows" referring to the rainbow lorikeets played a big part in some very synchronistic ways when my ex-father-in-law passed away, which I've written about quite a bit on this blog -

My Rainbow Lorikeet Encounter
The calendar hanging on my kitchen wall
  
showed lorikeets for the month of April.
The calendar that I mark the days of my life off hanging on my kitchen wall also displayed a picture of rainbow lorikeets for the month of my road-trip.
The odd thing was on the subject of
"Australian Rainbows" was the day I got back to my hometown of Brisbane on the 26th of April and I was out in the traffic going to get some bread and milk, I saw the best double rainbow that I ever saw and I had left both my iPod and phone at home on the bench, which I hardly ever do, so I had nothing to take a photo of it with.
I was kicking myself for not at least grabbing my phone.
And of course, the butterflies all over the back of the magazine could be seen as transformation on some level.

The article in the UFO magazine about David Bowie can also be found here at this link-
David Bowie, UFOs, Witchcraft, Cocaine and Paranoia
It's an interesting read, although just how much is true I would like to know, but I found this passage interesting -
"Early in life, Bowie had established his interest in all matters extraterrestrial. 
As a Brit teenager, David had helped edit a flying saucer newsletter. 
He admitted to me that he loved science fiction and was fascinated with life in space and the possibility that quite a few cosmic visitors had ended up on our earthly shores.
During a conversation, Bowie had gone out on a limb revealing that he had once had a close encounter. 

In the book Laughing Gnostic, author Peter Koening paraphrases what Bowie said: 
"A friend and I were traveling in the English countryside when we both noticed a strange object hovering above a field. 
From then on I have come to take this phenomena seriously. 
I believe that what I saw was not the actual object, but a projection of my own mind trying to make sense of this quantum topological doorway into dimensions beyond our own. 
It's as if our dimension is but one among an infinite number of others.""
Now, according to that Bowie articleBowie has said that he has an implant in his ear.
In 'The Super Natural' Whitley and Jeff discuss what may be implanted in Whitley's ear and Jeff writes about how in some Australian Indigenous tribe's shamans implant magical rocks under the skin of initiates on the path.
Then
Jeff goes on to talk about magical objects and rocks given to initiates as they enter the path of shamanism.
This got me to thinking of the
"magical objects" I had with me in my car on my road-trip that seemed like an accidental initiation into a shamanic like road-trip for me.

My "magical objects" that I had with me on my road-trip.
These were my "magical objects" that I had with me on my road-trip.
An angel Gabriel medal, which I keep in my car to remind me that life is a journey and not a destination, a so-called "lucky owl" glass figure to remind me of the deeper shamanic levels of life and to be aware of them, a crystal/rock with a "chip" in it, given to me by a lady who guided me and a group of others through a meditation with crystal singing bowls at the Crystal Castle, and my iPod, which seemed magical to me on my trip, which had a different kind of "chip" in it.
I personally don't see anything magical in those objects above (accept maybe the iPod;-), but they kept my mind on the job and gave me something to focus on along the way.
In that way I guess they were magical objects.

On the May Day long-weekend I stayed in Ballina and on the Sunday when I went to go see The Round Mountain Girls play at the Brunswick Heads hotel I decided to go back to the Crystal Castle and try and get the spiral wall hanging that I couldn't afford to buy the time I was given the rock/crystal and had bought the dragon wall hanging instead.
I wanted the spiral hanging to place on the other side of my bookcase in my living room as on my trip I had seen this spiral symbol quite a bit, plus it reminded me of what the movie 'The Revenant' was about. 
Now here is the weird thing, when I had grabbed the scroll from a back room at the Crystal Castle I felt like I had spiraled back here after my April road-trip and completed some part of a spiritual journey and on my way to pay for the wall hanging I saw an owl scarf and felt I had to have it to hang on a wall in my unit as some sign of a completed part of an ongoing journey into shamanism.
I had no idea where I was going to hang it though.
Then I thought it would look good over my bed if only it would cover the whole of the ugly curtain pattern and air conditioner that I never use.
And guess what
It was a perfect fit, like it belonged there, right next to my dream catcher
It's just a shame that the owl isn't as smart as my totem animal and friend the crow;-)

2 comments:

  1. Daz, Synchtiffic. What is up with the instrument of torture(blue) in bedroom? What a cool owl fabric! The synchs are popping here at the wheels. Shine forth brave souls. Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Dennis, I haven't turned Fundie, that's a living cross I picked up at an antique shop in Bangalow a few years back.
    I like the idea of a living Holy Spirit, rather than a dead human form nailed to a cross.

    ReplyDelete