Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

May 23, 2016

Why Would You Want to Throw a Shrimp/Prawn on the Barbie?

At the end of my recent road-trip I made Ballina my last stop for two days by getting a motel room on the Richmond River, before heading back to my hometown of Brisbane.
The thing I love about Ballina is the fresh seafood available there.
The Big Prawn in Ballina
I bought half a kilogram cooked of prawns from the place pictured above and took them back to my motel room and sat on the deck with a beer and watched the birds fly past, up and down the river.
Heaven.
As I sat there shelling my prawns I remembered that old Paul Hogan ad about throwing a shrimp on the barbie and what a trumped up piece of BS that was, as nobody in Australia I ever knew threw prawns (we don't call them shrimp) on the BBQ.
Australians usually have only thrown sausages, steaks and onions on barbies.
The only time I ever saw someone throw a "shrimp" on the barbie was Paul Hogan in an ad to get American tourists over here when his film 'Crocodile Dundee' made him a star over there.
Most Australians would rather buy a plate of cooked prawns and eat them like I did, the prawn on the barbie thing was just a big croc of lies.
 If anyone throws a prawn on the barbie in this country, it's because they saw Paul Hogan do it in a TV ad in 1984.
My 2016 prawn souvenir from
Chinese New Year
celebrations.
2016: Year of the Fire Monkey
Although, this year being the Year of the Fire Monkey maybe there will be a few more prawns/shrimps thrown on the barbies in celebration of the fire element?-)

No comments:

Post a Comment