Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

September 18, 2016

SPELLing and Root Words :-)

I picked up a very interesting and thought-provoking book in the little town of Bangalow a while back titled 'The Book of Secrets', by Daniel Pineda.
I was reading the chapter titled, 'The Word: Formula of the Spirit' where it is written, "according to the secret tradition, the power of words far surpasses the wildest imaginings of the uninitiated"
Which got me to thinking about the word "spelling" and how we conjure letters to form words to communicate to one another and even to our iPhones when we sound those words out.
Now we're rooted if these two get together;-)
But then I thought words only have power if the person who you share them with knows exactly what you are trying to say, not just the assumed meaning of the word you are sharing with them.

This was made more apparent when I read the chapter about chakras and saw the words "root chakra".
The word "root" in Australia is considered a rather rude word when used in certain ways in a conversation, as it is a slang word meaning what the word "screw" means as a slang word in other English-speaking countries.
A scene from the Australian hit TV movie
'Molly' using a naughty root word
It's so deeply ingrained in the Australian psyche that when we hear an American say, "I'm rooting for my team", we Aussies can't help but smirk, as we imagine your team must be pimps to make you want to root for them, or that you must get really turned on watching your team play;-) 

... rooted?-)
It got me to thinking just how a slang word like "root" took hold so powerfully in Australia.

Was it in some way connected originally to the root chakra from Yoga because the root chakra was the base chakra more, or less corresponding to the sexual organs in humans, or was this just a coincidence
Talk about root words and meanings when it came to language and spelling
It made me think of other words that are rude words to Australians, but not to someone in say the United States of America, where a pat on the "fanny" is just a pat on the backside, but in Australia would be a pat on a front bottom, which males do not have one to be able to pat. 
There are lots of other words that come to mind, which could be socially awkward for Australians to hear in a conversation.  
Words Americans should avoid saying to Australasians
Like randy, bugger and bum
I'm sure all those words can probably be found in the 'Molly' soundtrack somewhere, as well;-)
Molly: Music, Memories and Memes
Roms for broken phones?!
Whatever turns you on I guess:-)
Anyway, I had a late-night last night and really feel rooted ... not that I got a root though ... and I don't mean that in a Biblical sense either, if you know what I mean?-) 

Time for some coffee, I think ... and screw all of this root word stuff, I think it's time for me to have a spell
But before I do here is one more example of words having different meanings to different people.
I was listening to the first song on Bruce Springsteen's album 'The Seeger Sessions' about Old Dan Tucker who was too late to get his supper.
Which being Australian sounded ironic to me that a guy with the name Tucker would miss out on his namesake (food).  
"So, git outa de way for old Dan Tucker,
He's come too late to git his supper.
Supper's over and breakfast cookin',
Old Dan Tucker standin' lookin'"

No comments:

Post a Comment