Synchromysticism

" Synchromysticism:
The art of realizing meaningful coincidence in the seemingly mundane with mystical or esoteric significance."

- Jake Kotze

May 25, 2017

"Do What Thou Wilt..." and True Will?

I'm not a Thelemite, although I have read a fair bit about Thelema, which granted, does not make me some kind of expert on the subject, but I hear people quite often saying what kind of path is it when you are told to just go ahead and do whatever you want
That is a misconception as far as I understand it, as the whole greeting in Thelema (which means "Will") is "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will".
That doesn't mean, do what the hell you feel like doing, as your true will comes from the heart, so to speak ... a bit like the phrase you hear people saying often ... "follow your heart".
If you listen to the You Tube above on the "True Will" by David Shoemaker who is a Thelemiteyou will get a better idea of what "do what thou wilt..." is really all about.
The way David tells it is the way I understand it also.
I think this is true in most religious and spiritual practices where people answer "their calling".
And I think the idea of "a Holy Guardian Angel" is also something that resonates with a lot of people on the planet, whether they are "religious", or not. 
I don't see the HGA as some great protector like your Guardian Angel that's always waiting to stop you from stepping under a bus, although that may be the case as well, if it's not your time to depart the earth that day ... but who knows if going under a bus isn't the way you were meant to go out eventually anyway, when the time is right?
I see the HGA as a life companion ... which could include the life hereafter as well maybe?
It may just be part of a higher self, or deeper part of the unconscious depths of our souls
Who really knows and what does it matter from "down here"?
Practical Instruction in Thelemic Magick and
Mysticismby Dr. David Shoemaker
And I'm not suggesting Aleister Crowley as a human being was a great example of his teachings. 
He was just good at compiling teachings, many of which he borrowed from other teachings and some of which he got wrong in my opinion, but still his books are worth reading, I think.
Robin at son's grave moves mum to tears
"Marie Robinson's son Jack died of a brain tumour in 2014 aged four.
She filmed the bird on the third anniversary of his death at the graveyard in Waterlooville, Hampshire.
Mrs
Robinson said the family always associated robins with Jack, so she was moved to tears when it flew to her.

She said robins were a familiar sight whenever the family visited Jack's grave but one had "never come so close".
"It was sitting by the side of a grave - it kept flying around. 

It came back and was happy to come onto my hand and then looked straight into the camera.
"It was mind blowing - it kept coming back.
It even sat on my shoulder."
Jack died after being diagnosed with a brain tumour in
2014.
Mrs Robinson said: "It never gets easier.
"Whenever we'd go out, Jack and his twin would go
robin spotting, so it is something we always associate with him - it was just breathtaking."
"
But at the end of the day, believe what thou wilt.
It's your life.
93

2 comments:

  1. Crowley was dark.

    I'm not sure that guardian angels exist. That's a really Catholic thing.

    BUT. No question there's another reality,layered and subtle, that we deal with. It's called synchronicity, our most obvious entrance into the divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He certainly was no angel, but it's a bit hard to separate the man from the myth.
    He did write some interesting material which is worth a read.
    Not that I would agree with it all, though.
    Guardian angels aren't just a Catholic thing, in Zoroastrianism they are also known as Arda FravaΕ‘ ('Holy Guardian Angels').
    Each person is accompanied by a guardian angel, which acts as a guide throughout life.
    There is a similar Islamic belief in the Mu'aqqibat.
    According to many Muslims, each person has two guardian angels, in front and behind him. while the two recorders are located right and left.
    According to Leo Trepp, in late Judaism, the belief developed that, "the people have a heavenly representative, a guardian angel.
    I do believe in something similar, whether it's just a higher part of myself, or a separate entity is still up for debate I guess, but I can think of a number of occasions it has kicked in to break my mundane train of thought in time for me to save my life.
    So, I can only go with my past experiences and say that something which felt outside of myself drew my attention in the nick of time to a life threatening accident that I would have stumbled right into had my train of thought not been interrupted.
    For lack of a better term I'll call it my guardian angel, as that's what it felt like at the time.
    As I write in the post above believe what thou wilt.
    I certainly don't expect people to believe in guardian angels unless they have experienced a time in their life where "something" has prevented their imminent demise.
    But when your number is up nothing is going to save you I feel, even your guardian angel.
    That's life, as they say.

    ReplyDelete